If you believe that the best hurricane shooter would be Serious DoOM or Serious Sam, I’ve got Warstride Challenges. A dissertation on the incredibly engaging FPS published by Focus Entertainment, created by the French team Dream Powered Games.
- producer: Dream Powered Games
- Publisher: Focus Entertainment
- The release date is 19. April, 2022 (Early Access)
Warstride Challenges is a passionate first-person shooter developed by a tiny studio from Strasbourg. This is their first game influenced by classic shooters such as DOOM, Quake, or Painkiller, and, as odd as it sounds, it is inspired by racing in the Trackmania style.
This isn’t a typical corridor FPS but rather a simulation and a competitive, athletic shooter where players, to avoid barriers and traps, need to get through short levels with an incredible speed while destroying any monsters that stand in their way.
The avatar is quick in default but can accelerate even faster through rolls and jumps. The user can control the level of the jump using the spacebar. This will guide the character during the air and glide, and at any point, shoot anything that is moving or looks suspicious.
When it’s not on an acrobatics stage, there are a variety of demons that run toward the victim: some attempt to take him down by claws, while others strike in groups, and some are not afraid to fire back, and others are not a threat to firearms. However, they explode from blasts. The conditions change between maps, and the tension level increases.
A player can hit on the Tab button to reset their progress and then instantly replay the game. However, it will need to be repeated more frequently than pulling the trigger because Warstride Challenges gives a time limit for level completeness and requires a record score to access new decks. Additionally, it won’t be considered a victory on behalf of the user unless only one demon has survived. Here are some fascinating facts regarding the project:
- There’s a reason that I have mentioned Trackmania at the start of this piece. In Warstride Challenges, you’re also playing against your ghost doppelganger while trying to beat the highest speed. The translucent, white character can repeat the previous score while you race across the map.
- There’s a nemesis feature within Warstride Challenges. Players can manually input the names of their teammates or any contestant on the leaderboard into the group boxes. Afterwards, the up-to four red ghosts per level are displayed.
- The game awards for the achievement of levels. Based on the outcome, you will receive an award of a silver, bronze, or gold star and PGM badge. All of them are added to your records, and your best time is added to the global leaderboard.
- Every level is equipped with a hidden golden skull. Sometimes it is located directly on the route, and occasionally it’s kept secret. Destruction of the head along the direction of the course is a second. However, it is not mandatory for the participant. The total amount of skulls or PGMs, as well as gold as well as silver-plated medals, decides the possibility of bonus levels.
- Bonus levels are complex places designed to allow the player to master the character’s speed while flying and rolling. They typically contain a challenging obstacle course with no enemies to fight on the system. Warstride Challenges also features an arena and levels that are special in that you have to eliminate hordes of monsters within the time limit instead of running across the map.
- The higher the level the player climbs and the higher the level, the more weapons available to him: first the pistol, then the shotgun, and finally the carbine. The avatar is granted a specific power – the delay, beginning with the fifth level. This is very useful in getting through rugged terrain.
- Like Trackmania, Warstride Challenges features an editor for levels that allows players to design and play with their maps and establish objectives. For instance, you can decide which weapons to choose, whether they have slowdowns, and the duration limitation.
- Community levels will be a distinct mode of competition for the customized maps. It is believed that the creators are planning to fill their game with content created by users, which means Warstride Challenges can expand and develop through players’ efforts.